Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sweet Nicole!

I'm not sure if it was Nicole, or some unnamed cousin, but a gusty little storm system paid us a visit while we were anchored south of Southport. We knew we'd have strong winds through the night last Wednesday, so we tucked into a canal that was billed as "the local's hurricane hole". The winds woke us up at 2:45 a.m., with some rock and roll action. Of course, the anchor drag alarm was going off... and we ended up spending the rest of the night in the cockpit (I dozed, Ted made sure we didn't drift too close to shore...motors running just in case.)
As the sun came up, we could see two or three unoccupied sailboats that had broken loose of their moorings, and were up in the marsh. People were out in their dinghys, getting resettled or checking out their battle wounds- we were fine- and have a deadline- so we left at first light.
After several days of rain, the sun made a valiant attempt to shine. Glad to see it!


Flooding, while a bad thing for land people, means swift tide for water people. We made amazing time yesterday- covering 88 miles in 12 hours. You may be laughing... but we were pumped! Scootin'! And that's a good thing, because, as I mentioned before, we've got a deadline.
We've been going hard (up at dawn and going till dusk) for the last two days.


We were trying to make Charleston by this afternoon... and it looks like we'll be there soon.
I have a family funeral to attend, back up in Washington, D.C.- and my brother and his sweetheart (Jack and Mary) are picking me up as they're driving north. Ted will travel on, all by his lonesome, while I'm gone... I hope to rejoin him in Beaufort next Wednesday.

By the way...How about this house? My first thought was, they were probably trying to irritate their neighbors.



These are the neighbors.


I'd move too.

(Wonder if Ted will update the blog while I'm gone?... probably not...so if you want an update, give him a call! He's probably going to be lonely and talkative ;)

(One of our boat pets. Ted threw him overboard. froggone!)

No comments: